The structure was built in 1860 as a result of the development of the region's railway line. It was a significant part of the rail network. A double track stretched 220 metres over the 18 arches of this 27-metre-high viaduct. The Franco-Prussian War, WWI and WWII all threatened the existence of this structure, yet each time the viaduct was deemed a crucial strategic asset. Still today, the viaduct serves as an important landmark in the local landscape.